At this month’s CoastalNet meeting, Samantha Brook from Suffolk Social Media, gave a talk on social media tips which I found really useful and thought I would share:
Have a hook.
Provide something free to attract potential clients such as a free consultation or a discount.
Get more followers and likes.
Try to post new, useful and engaging content that isn’t too sales driven. You need a strategy to increase your followers and Sam recommends that you should be posting around 10 times a day on Twitter, six times a day on G+ and once a day on Facebook and LinkedIn.
You can follow potential clients on Twitter as the likelihood is that they will follow you back. On Facebook, you should post as your business then switch to yourself to comment and share with all of your followers.
Social media should be about being social and not just about selling. Posting content that is interesting, useful or funny will help build relationships and add value to your target audience.
Social media can be powerful but it shouldn’t be used in isolation. One of the aims of social media should be to drive traffic to your website to help increase your SEO ranking and in order to do that you need to have somewhere to send them. Blog posts should help establish you as an expert and so need to be longer and more in depth than social media posts but they still need to be interesting and useful. Share your blog posts on social media platforms and provide sharing buttons so others can do the same.
This provides valuable links back to your website which can increase the number of visitors.
The 80/20 rule.
About 20% of your social media content should aimed at driving traffic to your website. The other 80% should be related news stories and articles from other sources.
Use applications to help you.
There are tools available to make it easier to find and post great content. Feedly provides a way to organise, read and share the content from your favourite websites and Buffer provides a way of planning and scheduling your social media posts.
Test and measure.
Like any good marketing strategy, it’s important to analyse results to see what is and isn’t working. Most social media sites have analytics available and you should use Google Analytics to track any increase in traffic to your website to find out where it is coming from.
Hopefully these tips will help you develop a successful social media strategy but if you need help or training then go to Suffolk Social Media for more information.